Velux Loft Conversion: Everything to Know!
Loft conversions are becoming increasingly popular in the USA, and it’s easy to see why. One of the most important considerations when considering a loft conversion is roof window quality – this is where Velux comes in. This blog post will explore everything you should know about a Velux loft conversion. So, read on to learn more about it!
What is a Velux Loft Conversion?
A Velux loft conversion is a type of home extension that involves the installation of Velux windows on the roof. Velux windows are a type of skylight window commonly used in loft conversions.
The main benefit of is the amount of natural light it can bring into your home. Velux windows are designed to let in as much natural light as possible. It can make your loft feel more spacious and bright. In addition, Velux windows can help improve your home’s energy efficiency by keeping the heat in during winter and out during summer.
If you plan on having a loft conversion, then speak to a professional about installing windows. They will be able to advise you on the best way to install them on your particular property. Also, they can ensure that they meet all building regulations.
The Different Types
There are many different Velux loft conversions, each with its distinct benefits. Here are some of the most popular types:
1. Dormer: A dormer is a great option if you’re looking to add more headroom and liveable space to your home. They can be constructed in various styles, including gabled, hipped, shed, and flat-roofed.
2. Mansard: Mansard loft conversions are perfect if you want to create an additional bedroom or bathroom. They involve raising the roofline at the rear of the property and adding extra windows to maximize natural light and views.
3. Hip-to-Gable: As the name suggests, this conversion involves extending the hip ends of your roof outwards to form a gable end. This is a great way to add more space and light to your home and increase its curb appeal.
4. Flat-Roofed: Flat-roofed loft conversions are becoming increasingly popular due to their clean, contemporary look. They’re perfect for homes with limited pitched roof space and can be easily incorporated into existing flat roofs.
Pros and Cons of a Velux Loft Conversion
There are several factors to consider when deciding whether or not to go ahead with a Velux loft conversion. The following pros and cons should be considered before making a final decision.
1. Adds value to your property – A Velux loft conversion can add up to 20% to the value of your home, making it a worthwhile investment.
2. Creates additional living space – A Velux loft conversion provides the perfect opportunity to create additional living space in your home, whether it’s an extra bedroom, bathroom, or home office.
3. Can be completed relatively quickly and easily – Compared to other loft conversions, Velux conversions can be completed relatively quickly and easily, meaning minimal disruption to your daily life.
4. No need for planning permission – Unlike some other types of loft conversions, you generally won’t need planning permission for a Velux conversion, making the process simpler and quicker.
1. May not be suitable for all properties – Due to the way they are constructed, Velux loft conversions may not be suitable for all properties. It’s important to check with a professional before proceeding.
2. Can be more expensive than other types of loft conversion – Although Velux loft conversions can add value to your home. They can also be more expensive than other types of loft conversion, such as dormer or hip-to-gable conversions.
3. Can be noisy – Velux windows may let in more noise from outside than other types of windows, so it’s essential to consider this before installing them in your loft conversion.
4. May need additional ventilation – Depending on the type of Velux window you choose, you may need to install additional ventilation to ensure the room remains well-ventilated.
What is the Process of a Velux Loft Conversion?
Assuming you have the head height in your loft, this type of loft conversion is a relatively straightforward process. One of our expert surveyors will assess the project’s feasibility and take some measurements. They’ll also check the condition of your roof timbers to make sure they’re suitable for supporting the weight of a new floor and staircase.
If everything looks good, we’ll then prepare detailed plans and submit them to your local authority for planning permission. Once that’s been approved, our team of skilled craftsmen will get to work transforming your loft into a beautiful and functional living space.
The whole process usually takes around 8-12 weeks from start to finish. And we can even help you with the decoration and furnishing if needed. So if you’re considering adding an extra bedroom, home office, or just some extra storage space, a Velux loft conversion is the perfect solution.
How Much Does a Velux Loft Conversion Cost?
When considering a Velux loft conversion, the cost is one of the primary concerns. How much does this type of loft conversion cost? The answer to this question depends on several factors. The main of them include the size and layout of your home, the type of Velux windows you select, and the amount of work required to complete the project.
To get a general idea of cost, a Velux loft conversion typically starts at around £15,000. However, as mentioned, several factors can impact the total cost of your project. For instance, your total cost will be higher if you have a larger home or require additional windows. Additionally, the type of Velux windows you select can also affect cost. For example, electric windows tend to be more expensive than manual windows.
Ultimately, the best way to get an accurate estimate for your Velux loft conversion is to consult a professional contractor. Someone who can assess your needs and provide you with a detailed quote. Doing so can ensure that your project stays within budget and meets all your expectations.
Building this sort of loft conversion can be an ideal solution for homeowners looking to maximize their living space. Not only are they cost-effective and easy to install, but they also provide natural light and ventilation while creating additional storage spaces. With the right home improvements and planning, a Velux loft conversion can help transform your attic into an inviting oasis you’ll love spending time in.
Also read: Home Decor Ideas That Will Transform Your Space And Make Your Home Shine